Monday, November 28, 2011

Grandpa's 90th Birthday Party!

My Grandpa turned 90 years old last week, so of course we had to throw him a huge party! My mom and her sisters did an awesome job with everything. It was fun seeing cousins that I haven't seen in a long time. Everyone in the family was able to make it from different states, so it was special and I think my grandpa had a good time.
My mom and her sisters each have different memorabilia from his life, so they put it all together on a big display so we can all see it. It's probably the only time that it will all be in one place, so it was neat to see and read everything. It was anything from childhood pictures, to high school yearbooks to newspaper clippings. We ate dinner, watched old home videos from throughout his life (some were silent black and white), and had a Q&A with him. It was a fun night!

A little about my grandpa: He played pro football for the Detroit Lions. He was an FBI agent in Chicago and Las Vegas for 20+ years. He is as healthy as a horse and golfs THREE times a week (18 hole games, I might add). So, basically he is a stud!


My younger brother, Luke, wearing my grandpa's old football helmet.






I wish this picture wasn't blurry. I guess my mom is trying to kill my aunt with my grandpa's original gun he used in the FBI.



Little brother, Luke, and his girlfriend, Rachel.

Delicious meal cooked by the one and only aunt Elaine!


Pictures and things from Grandpa's life.


My grandpa's old college sweaters. The blue one is from Dixie! He met my grandma met on a blind date while they both attended Dixie in the 40s.  I love that my mom went there and so did I! The red one is from U of U.


Pictures of my Grandpa and beautiful Grandma with both of their wedding rings. They were married in 1948.   Grandma passed away about 10 years ago.



The man of the hour!




Grandpa isn't a big talker, so we had a Q & A with him, so we can ask him whatever he wanted which is a rare thing. It was so neat hearing him talk about his life, since he doesn't normally do that. My cousin  asked him if he's ever killed anyone (Jeff's been dying to know the answer to that). My grandpa said he never killed anyone because he never had to :)
Someone else asked him why he joined the National Guard. He said it was when he was in high school, and to be in it, you just had to go to a meeting once a month and they paid him $1/month. He was like, "And you can't be that, so I joined!" Haha. Man times have changed.
He also told us some FBI stories about chasing people. It was fun hearing about it.



These are letters that my Grandpa had written my Grandma while he was on the road with the Lions. It is so cool how they have been kept for so many years. These letters are 55 years old!! In one letter he said, "I miss you, Mac, I need some lovin' and you're the only who can give it to me" haha.

Luke modeling his birthday present. It's a Lions jersey with his name and birthday number on it.


Throughout the display that had all the decades from his life with facts from that decade: How old he was during that time, how much things cost, major events that happened, etc. It was interesting.



This was from the newspaper.


Happy birthday, Grandpa! So happy we got to celebrate together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting